Here is a list of best free software to convert PNG to SVG for Windows. A PNG or Portable Network Graphics image is scalar by nature and in order to convert it to a vector image format like SVG, you need these PNG to SVG converter software. Through some of these converters, you can also perform batch image conversion to convert multiple PNG images to SVG format at once. Another good thing about these software is that they all support multiple image formats like BMP, JPG, TIFF, TGA, PCX, PIX, DPX, etc
An image converter is a kind of file converter that converts one image file format (like a JPG, BMP, TIF, etc.) into another. If you’re unable to use a photo, graphic, or any kind of image file the way you’d like because the format isn’t supported, image converter software can help.
In these software, you can also modify input PNG images before starting the conversion. To edit images, these software offer various image editing and drawing tools like line, shapes, freehand, color, rotate, flip, resize, color levels, saturation, and more. For further enhancing input images, these converters provide predefined image filters like sepia, blur, painting, ripple, oil painting, and more.
The process of using these software is quite straightforward. Plus, editing tools provided by these converters are quite easy to operate. I have also included the PNG to SVG conversion steps in the description of each software. Go through the list to know more about these software.
1. RealWorld Paint
RealWorld Paint is a free PNG to SVG converter software for Windows. As its name suggests, it is a painting software through which you can create drawings and various graphical designs. Most of the drawing tools provided by this software can also be used to edit/ annotate input PNG image before converting it to the SVG format. Some of the editing and drawing tools which it offers are Shapes, Brush, Spray, Color Palette, Image Effects, Layers, Mask, etc.
This software supports images of various formats like WebP, BMP, GIF, JPEG, TIFF, ICO, and more.
- Create Animation: This feature allows you to create 2D animations using multiple images as animation frames. After creating an animation, you can export it in animated PNG, animated WebP, and animated GIF formats.
- Watermark: It lets you add both text and image watermarks over images.
ImBatch is another free software to batch convert PNG to SVG for Windows. Through this software, you can also convert multiple PNG images to SVG format at a time as it allows batch image processing. It also gives you all the necessary tools to edit input PNG images before converting it to the SVG format. It offers editing tools in the form of Tasks like Lens Effect, Mosiac Effect, Resize, Rotate, Blur, Equalize, Exposure, Color Levels, etc. You can access the editing and conversion tasks from its Add Tasks menu. Apart from PNG and SVG, this software supports many other input and output image formats like TGA, JPEG, BMP, TIFF, PNM, PCX, HDR, and more.
How to batch convert PNG to SVG using ImBatch:
- Initiate ImBatch and press the Add New images button to load multiple PNG images to it.
- After that, add editing tasks from its Add Tasks menu, if you want to modify input PNG images.
- Next, add the Save As task and specify the destination directory location along with the output file type (SVG).
- Lastly, hit the Run batch processing button to start the batch PNG to SVG conversion.
Converseen is a free open source PNG to SVG converter software for Windows and Linux. It is mainly a batch image converter software through which you can also perform batch image resizing. Before starting the conversion process, you can adjust the output image quality by going to its Image Settings panel. Besides this, it also offers a Preview panel that lets you view all the input images of different formats like PNG, GIF, JPG, PIX, DPX, EXR, and more.
- Replace Transparent Background: In the case of input images with a transparent background, you can use this feature to replace the transparent background of input images with a specific color.
4. LibreOffice Draw
LibreOffice Draw is another free open source PNG to SVG converter for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Through this software, you can view, edit, and convert one PNG image to SVG format at a time. To edit images, it provides multiple painting and editing tools like Color Fill, Symbols, Transformation Tools, Text Tools, Shapes (rectangle, ellipse, pentagon, block, etc.), and more. After editing an input PNG image, you can save it in SVG, or other supported formats like BMP, GIF, PDF, WMF, etc.
LibreOffice Draw is a part of the LibreOffice Suite that offers other LibreOffice software like LibreOfficeCalc, LibreOffice Writer, LibreOffice Impress, etc. You can use these free software to create or edit documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc
- Color Replacer: According to its name, this feature is used to replace the color of a part of an image with another color defined by the user.
- Extension Manager: Through this feature, you can add, manage, and delete extensions of this software.
GIMP is the next free open source software to convert PNG to SVG for Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is also an ideal good software to edit input images of various formats like JPEG, BMP, TIFF, ICO, TGA, EMF, ODG, and more. To edit images, it provides editing tools like layers, resize, flip, colors, color balance, exposure, paint tools, etc. In addition to editing tools, it offers various inbuilt image filters such as Colorize, Sepia, Blur, Poster, Negative, Kaleidoscope, Paint, etc.
By default, GIMP does not let you export an image to SVG format. To resolve this problem, you need to first paste a GIMP plugin named file-svg-export.py to the Plugins folder of GIMP. After that, restart GIMP and start exporting PNG or other images to SVG format.
- Measure: Using it, you can measure the distance between any two points present over an input image.
- Swap Colors: It lets you quickly replace a specific color present over the image with some other color.
- Animation: Through this feature, you can create simple animations using multiple images or drawn frames.
6. Microsoft Expression Design
Microsoft Expression Design is yet another free PNG to SVG converter software for Windows. Through this software, you can edit as well as convert images of different formats like PNG, JPG, BMP, ICO, SVG, PSD, and more. To edit images, you can use its inbuilt Drawing and Image Transformation tools like pen, slice, color dropper, color palette, align, rotate, flip, resize, etc
- Layers: It allows you to create complex designs by joining parts of a design present over multiple layers together.
- Objects: It offers multiple tools through which you can create new and edit existing objects.
Inkscape is a free open source vector graphics editor software that can also be used to convert PNG to SVG. It works on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
As it is a vector graphics editor, thus it offers various editing tools which you can use to make modifications to an input PNG image before converting it to the SVG format. To make modifications to an input image, it provides Create 3D Shapes, Draw Freehand, Fill Bounded Areas, Layers, Edit Paths, Tweak Objects, etc., tools.
This software supports images of various formats like EPS, TGA, EMF, ODG, JPG, ICO, PNM, and more.
- Gcodetools: Using it, you can generate gcode of a vector design which you can feed to a 3D printer to create a physical 3D model of the design.
- Filters: It is a menu that contains various inbuilt image filters which you can directly apply over an input image to give it a distinct look. Some of the image filters that this menu contains are Bevels, Color, Distort, Colorize Turbulent, Brushed Metal, Chrome, etc.